Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Slow to Anger" lesson from James





So, today Dave and I spoke in church- my topic was "Slow to Anger" (a talk by President Hinckley) and Dave's was on charity. You know how you are always given the topics that you need help with- well that was definitely the case for me, as James threw the biggest fit of his three-year-old life yesterday at Coney Island in front of a million people! He was whining, yelling, telling me "no, MOMMY!" and then as I tried to strap him in the stroller to take him away and help him fall asleep he proceeded to hit me, kick me, and fight so hard I could barely buckle the straps. I was a sweaty, frustrated mess and hated the fact that I probably looked like I was abusing him cause he was yelling so loud and would not even make eye contact with me. He was so tired and his eyes were like a wild animals by the time I finally got him in the stroller- it was awful! So, after walking the dirty streets of Coney Island area for a while he finally fell asleep and I was able to regain some composure. The first thing I thought of was my talk "slow to anger" since I really wanted to go crazy on the kid and teach him a lesson. But, luckily it didn't come to that and he had a nice long nap and was back to normal when he woke up. This week as been quite trying as a mom, and I am actually grateful that I got to speak on this topic and get some good counsel for myself.
Oh, and by the way, I will probably never go back to Coney Island again... one, because they are tearing it all down and two, because it is dirty, crowded, there is glass all over the beach and I've had my coney dog and one is enough!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

good advice... I should frame that talk from Pres. Hinckley....your post is a good reminder. Isn't it funny that the worst tantrums come at the worst moments...I guess that's what makes them so bad. Love ya!

goldmania said...

You are awesome Mel. I'm never glad to see someone else suffer but it's always good to know that my son isn't the only one who throws fits once and a while. You will always be super mom to me!

Abs said...

I always think that you are such a good reminder of how to be patient with your kids. I can't even picture you ever yelling at them. Thanks for being such a great example.

Jill said...

Thank you for making me feel like a normal mother! If Mel can feel like this, it is o.k. for me to feel like this! I love you!

goldmania said...

Hey, did you notice ya'll are like the only uh, "light" people at the beach? :) Fun pics

martieandtom said...

Mel,
Thank you for sharing your "bad" times as well as good times. It brings back memories of our childrearing days, AND it reminds me that you and your kids are human afterall because I respect and admire you so much! I'll never forget the FHE lesson we had, when the boys were little, where we created the word "SLOFT" after a lesson on being SLOW TO ANGER and SPEAKING SOFTLY ("He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty . . . "Proverbs 16:32) and ("A soft answer turneth away wrath but grevious words stir up anger." Proverbs 15:1) The word SLOFT was part of our refrigerator wisdom for many years. Keep up the good work. Love you!

Dallon and Heidi Jones said...

love those days as a mom...we had one at the zoo recently. it's a good thing we have time to look at our sweet kids when they're peaceful and sleeping after the tantrums. being a mom is the best and the worst, isn't it? :)

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA