Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Manhasset... to live or not to live

Here's a little tale to give you a glimpse into the area where I live:

"Neither town nor village, Manhasset is four square miles of suburbia. It contains three villages and parts of three others, and shares a peninsula with Port Washington. Once considered an ideal cow pasture, it has been home to some of the nation's richest and most powerful people."- newsday.com, July 30, 2008

So, I live in Manhasset, NY (that is part of my address) but the minute any Manhasset residents find out that I really live in the resident housing of North Shore Hospital on Comunity Drive- I am looked at in a whole new way... and it is geting OLD!! So what- my husband is a resident and only makes $$$$$ instead of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$- can't we still use the library and go to the park? I say this because even though I live in Manhasset, I am technically in the Great Neck School District and Library district- so I am allowed to use the Manhasset Library but I get put on all the waiting lists for childrens' classes and am allowed in after all the Manhasset Nannies (I mean moms) and kids. I would glady go to the Great Neck Library but it is about 5 times further away and I don't want to drive all that way, when there is a beautiful library about 1.5 miles from my house. The other day I called to sign James up for a class and the librarian was so overly nice and "excited about having him." The second she asked for my library card # and realized I held a Great Neck card her voice went from overly- sugary sweet to a flat "we'll call you if he gets off the waiting list"- and I am not even exagerating at all-really! Manhasset does offer a lot of great prpgrams- festivals, music in the park, children safety day with ice cream and face painting, a cute little main street and a grea train station- but I just have to remember to keep my address to myself, say "my husband works at North Shore Hospital" instead of "he's a resident at North Shore" and bring my gucci bag to the park!



Also, even to go the parks in great neck, you are supposed to have a "park card" to prove you are worthy enough to go to their parks, AND to swim in most of the pools around here you have to have a "leisure pass" proving you are a Long Island resident cause heaven forbid anyone from Queens touches our water!



there are probably reasons for all these things (safety, taxes, prejudice, social stigma etc. ) but it is ANNOYONG! Why can't we all just read books, swim and get along!

These are a couple of pics with our friends from recent little events around the town, village, community- or whatever it's called!



4 comments:

Michelle said...

okay, that is so funny....well, it isn't ...but you know what I mean. Especially the library lady! what a brat! I know a little how it feels...saying I live in Bethesda, I always end up explaining that we live in the low income government housing....and I also get "the look". I should just say I've got a great apartment in Bethesda, I don't have to mention that it's only 750 sq feet!

chandra said...

Sorry to hear this! If it makes you feel better people are actually like this in Utah too. We rented a basement in Lehi about 3 years ago in a new subdivision of a high end home builder. Everyone was always asking "so what model home did you build?" When I said we just were renting they would say "oh that's good of you!" What ever that means! It didn't matter that we were actually building a home in Riverton, it wasn't Lehi or with this particular builder so we weren't that cool! I swear when we're rich I'm NOT going to become a snob! Anyway sorry about the rant, it's good to catch up with you via blogs! You and your family are so cute and look so happy.

Rachel said...

Amen sista. I think we should hold a sit in at the next Jammin Jitterbugs class. I'll go start working on the picket signs right now.

Natalie said...

Wow that is really wierd! How crazy that there are really places like that. I thought they were only in the movies.

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA