Friday, September 11, 2009

grateful

I just watched some of the 9/11 Memorial and found myself entranced as family members and volunteers read the names of those who lost their lives. As the pictures, ages and hometowns of the people came across the screen I just got so sad thinking about their lives and how much their families and friends must miss them. One woman read the name of her husband who had lost his life and gave a tribute to him from her and their three children-- i just lost it at this point and sat here crying on the couch as the rest of the names were read. I think living out here in NY, seeing and knowing some of the policeman and firefighters, and even just recognizing many of the hometowns of the victims as made 9/11 more of a reality to me that I didn't quite feel before. I am amazed by the strength of the victims' families and my heart goes out to them. I am grateful for my family and it makes me just want to forget all the petty things in life and appreciate and love each other. I am glad I was able to have this little 'moment' today and will always remember those who lost their lives on this day eight years ago. I am going to get my kids off the bus and give them BIG HUGS...

2 comments:

Martie said...

Thanks, Mel. I, too, had an extremely emotional day as I shared the events of 9/11 with my kids at Odyssey. On the way home from work I stopped at the "Healing Fields" in Sandy where 3,000 flags are put in the ground each year to honor the dead from Ground Zero. It helped to just walk through the flags and calm myself down - a very reverent feeling. Yes, each day is a gift!
Love, Mom

Michelle said...

I of course always thought the 9/11 events were a tragedy...but I know what you mean - I feel like living on the East Coast brings a different feeling to it than I had in Utah. I am sure especially for you in NY. Being in DC and seeing the part of the Pentagon that is a little different than the rest...just makes me lose it! What a sweet post.

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA