Friday, September 18, 2009

campin' in the Catskills

We went camping a couple of weeks ago and had an adventurous time. We found a great place about 2.5 hours from here and it was beautiful weather and scenery (see below). We did have a dead car battery, dave locked the keys in the car right before jumping in the lake with Zanna and we had to radio a locksmith to come while they just froze in their wet suits, and we got attacked by raccoons that I thought was a bear and it Freaked me out so bad I was shaking. But, other than that it was a weekend I would like to repeat again and again!

Camping at North/South Lake in the Catskills, NY
tin foil dinners
we got in a little late (dave had to check on three campsites before he was satisfied with the perfect site) so of course we were cooking in the dark and everyone was pretty hungry- but they sure did taste good. I ate mine and half of both kids' dinners :)
james first time whittling his roasting stick
s'mores, of course!
we also roasted Starbursts and ate lots of other good camping junk food
the fam
"Kaaterskill Falls" the tallest waterfall in NY State
sportin' the keens for Grandpa Francis
this is the prettiest fungus I've ever seen!
playing tic-tac-toe with rock chalk
the old location of one of "the Grand Hotels of the Catskills"
me being a poser
i was impressed they could all climb this huge boulder
you could see 5 states from this view- it really was breathtaking!
(NY, NJ, CT, MA, VT)
"the narrows"
camping isn't camping without hot dogs
dave finally broke out the telescope- something we've been wanting to do for a long time
this was home for 2 short nights

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

How beautiful! We need you around to motivate us to go camping.

The Harrises said...

Some of the pictures didn't load so I will have to try back again later. You guys would be very particular about a camping spot, just like you are about your fried rice. With so much excitement on this camping trip, I'm glad you had a good time after all. I will have to try the starburst thing. Sounds good.
Are you going to Hershey in the fall--i.e. October?

Michelle said...

i am so jealous every single time you post about camping. That was one of our loves in Utah, and we just don't get around to it out here. Mostly because we just always used all of our parents gear. But really, i'm jealous jealous jealous when I see your fun little family on the little campouts!

Unknown said...

I (Dave) feel I have to defend myself - the two spots "not satisfied with" were little less than swampland. And a lot like making some good fried rice, a good batch of camping requires good, non-swampy ingredients.

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA