Thursday, January 22, 2009

I need help!

So, sometimes life is full of movies and dinner and games and happy times, and sometimes life is full of poop! 

here's a little run-down of the last couple of days with James:

Monday night-- James wets the bed, so I wash all his sheets and jammies-not a huge deal it happens every once and a while

Tuesday day-- when I pick James up from Joy School I notice his pants are all wet again! I march him home (this isn't the first time it's happened) and am annoyed that all the "pee clothes" from the night are all nice and dry waiting to be folded.  I take away all his cool spiderman underwear.

Tuesday night-- James wakes up in the night (1:00am) and his pants are all wet!!  What??AGAIN?? another bath and back to bed (sheets were not wet yet)

Wednesday night-- We have finished dinner and are having fudgesicles and James sets his down, says he doesn't want it anymore, gets up from his seat and his chair is soaked! He's done it again and I am starting to LOSE IT!

Thursday night (tonight)-- He's had an accident free day, and then right before bed he poops his pants (I'll spare you the details) but what is going on? another bath and night with no stories or songs.

 I am sooooo tired of washing out underwear and pants so I just threw them away and sit here wondering what to do?? He's has been potty trained for about a year, so is this a relapse? nothing big has changed in our lives- is this normal? I have taken away all his favorite things and put him in a diaper at night ( which he doesn't like) but nothing seems to be working. Now, we are wondering if there is a real problem or just a weird regression that will hopefully end SOON! So, any tips, advice, funny stories would help, 'cause I am at a loss and TIRED of the clean-up! 

9 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

This probably isn't it but is he really thirsty all the time? Like really, oddly thirsty? Ruby had been potty trained for a year before she was diagnosed with Diabetes and then all of a sudden she started peeing her pants all the time because she was drinking so much, which is one of the first "symptoms" of D--crazy thirst. Anyway it's highly highly unlikely that it is D but your story sounded familiar. Have Dave test his blood sugar at work one of these days or if you know anyone there with a monitor, ask them. I've done it several times for worried Moms here in Hershey. And you know most of them. :) I didn't want to scare you especially because it's probably not D but I thought I might throw that out there. If he isn't crazy thirsty and hungry all the time then I wouldn't even worry about it. He might just be getting lazy.

Jessica F. said...

My mind did go straight to the thought of diabetes too...but that just might be because I am constantly thinking about that with little Sterling.
I peed my pants till I was in 3rd or 4th grade...not what you want to hear but it just might be a relapse. I know that there was a medication I went on to help at night...TMI???
Good luck!

Jules said...

By all means check out the medical stuff--it could be that--BUT in my experience this is totally normal. Little regressions happen. They last a week or two, then fade away as long as you don't react too strongly. Nigel just had one around Christmas time--lasted about a week (like four accidents in one week!). It's SO aggravating, but I think it goes away faster if you say, "Oh, rats. You wet your pants. Looks like you'll have to clean that up." Of course he can't totally, but I want him to think it's HIS problem, not mine. Nigel's a little OCD so that works perfectly for him. My sister's kids have struggled with uncontrollably wetting the bed at night, but it has been an ongoing problem, not just one that showed up suddenly.

Michelle said...

I wish I had advice...but nope...I"ll just tell you that I love you!

Hansen Family said...

Get him checked out and sometimes kids just have issues. Connor does at times:) So does some of my friends kids who are 9. It will get better:)

Rachel said...

My girls still just can't wake up to go at night so they wear pullups at night (you know). But even tho the accidents are totally frustrating, I think it's just a normal part of being a kid. I wouldn't worry about anything being seriously wrong. Olivia did the same thing not too long ago and then stopped. I've read that threats and punishments and getting mad is the wrong thing to do bc it makes a big deal of it-but I was about to pull my hair out when it happened with O. It'll pass.

Sterling said...

As a last resort, have you tried one of these?

Rachel Francis said...

hey. i obviously have no experience because of my lack of kids... ha ha but i just wanna say sorry and i hope everything gets better soon!!

Caroline said...

I know the frustration! It's okay for a night or two, but the washing of clothes, sheets, and blankets is enough to drive anyone crazy. All I can say is that boys are hard. We've had a hard time with Owen at night. His pediatrician told me that 15% of 5-year-old boys still wet the bed. And Owen did keep his bed dry for a while between 3 and 4. We just don't stress about it and wake him up once a night to go.

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA