Monday, April 19, 2010

Mama takes on NYC!

Last year my mom came out to take care of me after my foot surgery so we didn't get to play much- I could barely even walk- so this year we made up for it and I had to work to keep up with this lady!! We walked, walked and walked some more...it was fabulous to have her all to ourselves for the week!
Our first day we headed up North to my favorite local grocer, grill and gelato/ice cream bar- Stew Leonard's
(look at my belly...it is from Zanna's view and it looks huge!)

We then headed to my other favorite place (which i have blogged about many times) but had to show my nature-loving mom...Bear Mountain
we even got to ride the old Carousel
the bears were out!
Dave had the next day off so we all headed to Brooklyn to walk the bridge and see the city...
World Trade Center Site
We then headed to Liberty Island to see Lady Liberty (something we've been wanting to do since we moved here)
Mom of course wanted to do the audio tour and we learned all about the Statue and it's coming to be. The kids had their own headsets and it was fun to hear them spouting off facts about the size and making of the Ms. Liberty
souvenirs were a must...i love this picture
After the Statue Dave took the kiddos home and we headed uptown for dinner and a show!
I was so excited for my mom to see Wicked (I saw it about 4 yrs. ago but was so happy to see it again before we move) and we both LOVED it. I almost cried a few times because of how talented the performers were....and probably because of my state of being :)
We headed to Times Square after the Show and went to the M&M's store and got frozen yogurt. We booked it to Penn Station and made our train by about 30 seconds-- what a great night out!
On Wednesday we went and got Pedicures and Manicures (you can get them both for $15 mon-wed) and then had naps. We had a fun night at the church learning how to make Pasteles with the ladies in my ward and it was fun to have them meet my mom and they all loved her, of course!
I sent Mom into the city to do a session at the Manhattan Temple and then the kids and I came into meet her and play in the city for the day. After picking her up we drove around until we found a Gyro cart on the street because a gyro is the best lunch around!
We had a BEAUTIFUL day in "the Park"
a new act-- the bronzed cowboy by the fountain

frisbee in Central Park
tulips in front of The Plaza Hotel
FAO Swartz
Mom played Chopsticks on The Big Piano and it was so fun to see her dancing around out there!
Dylan's Candy Bar--treats!
Crumbs Red Velvet Cupcake at Dylan's Candy Bar
NYC skyline from the rocks in Central Park
i think I win the big belly contest :)
Even Dave got wiped out trying to keep up with Mama M!

What an amazing week-- thanks Mom for coming out and spoiling us!
Oh, and by the way, she gave me foot massage EVERY NIGHT with her special lotion and my feet never even hurt after all that walking!

6 comments:

Eliza said...

Oh man! It looks like a fun-packed visit. So great to spend time with your mom in such a fun city. I am SO bummed that we never made it out to see you guys!! Darn swine flu!! and other life occurrences. Blast it. You look FABULOUS and I'm glad you had a happy birthday!

Martie said...

Hey, thanks for the sweet reminder of what a great few days we had together! You are a real "trooper" and I love, love, loved every minute of it! Can't wait for the baby! Love you!

Rachel said...

how fun! you are such a party animal mel.

goldmania said...

How fun! How nice having your mom come out. Even 9 mo preggers your still a hot fun mama. :)

Cheryl said...

What a packed full trip! You guys always know how to pack it in and I'm glad you are heading to another destination that will keep you entertained! happy belated Birthday (as always) Your spring break looks like it was a blast.

The Harrises said...

How nice that your mother would touch your feet after a day in NYC. All those treats looked so tasty!

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA