Sunday, May 25, 2008

4 staples to the head


I think I forgot to  mention that James got four staples in his head a couple of week ago. It was the classic case of - "my son fell out of the grocery cart" and he hit is head on the bottom shelf and got a nice little split.  There was  a lot of blood and when the managers came over and started asking me if they should call an ambulance, I just kind of lost it and started crying. I told them my husband was doctor and that I would just take James to the hospital to see his dad- but I think they were nervous to let me leave- seeing how I was crying and too emotional that I couldn't even talk to Dave on the phone. I had to call him back after I got it together!  A pediatrician was nearby and came over and looked at it and said he would be fine, but would need some staples which made me feel assured, but worse at the same time.  I just felt so sad for him, scared, and so shaken by everything. I'm usually a calm person, but it really threw me.  So, we left with some ice, bloody clothes, and me telling the manager that they should fix the buckles on the carts. I had checked for working buckles, but they were all broken.  I had the straps on James but it wasn't buckled and he fell out the side (it was the kind with the harness where the kids sit forward)- I guess I had a case for a good suit, but I won't go there.
Anyways- Daddy saved the day and met us at the hospital and did the staples himself while I held James against my chest- not fun! But things are fine now and Dave removed the staples at home while James was sleeping- he woke up a little, but went right back to sleep. That was our first ER visit, and I'm sure not our last.

8 comments:

Raegan said...

Hey Mel! It's 3am right now, and we just got back from Utah. I guess I am a little reassured by hearing this story again, because we just got back from the ER with Jack! It's nice to know I'm not the only mom with accidents! Missed 'ya!Raegan

The Thompsons said...

SAD!!! Poor James!!! Hug him for us!

Cheryl said...

Oh Mel and Oh James! I'm so sorry and glad it is all resolved. However, pretty cool to be able to go see Daddy instead of some stranger. (give him a pop-tart from us!!!!)

The Harrises said...

To my dear James, I am sorry. To the shopping cart: How could you?

Holly Harris Murray said...

=(

TheTandyFamily said...

Something similar happened to Josh when he was little, but in addition to the falling, he had a sucker in his mouth. It totally broke to pieces and cut his mouth all up. Sad! I hate when little kiddos get hurt! On the positive side, awesome that James get fixed up by his Dad. Someday James will think it was cool that he got staples in his head.

wackywilsons said...

Hey Melanie....

You may remember me? I saw you on Michelle's blog...thought I would say hello!

You are moving back East? When? Any thoughts or worries besides the dry air! I totally can relate...I was there last week with all the rain and humidity and my natural wave was lovin' it!

You haven't changed a bit, gorgeous as ever!

Natalie said...

Well it was bound to happen sometime. I'm amazed we still haven't had any stiches yet. Finally some pay off for all your hard work. No long waits in the ER! Seriously though I would have been freaking out too.

Medical School Graduation

Medical School Graduation
May 20, 2007 Hershey, PA